11 – Sustainable Communities and Cities
Through Phyllalab – the research and development area into vertical farming and aeroponic greenhouses – Technophylla is experimenting with different types of soilless cultivation, pushing the borders of the future of agriculture.
Thanks to the use of technology from the very beginnings of the development of systems for planning, advancing, monitoring, controlling and the traceability of the entire production cycle, these cultivations promise extremely high yielding production, per square meter, and can even be created in an urban area. This would allow the use of abandoned buildings and distribute production to be geographically closer to consumers, further contributing to lowering the environmental impact of transport.
- Protect the environment
- Restrict the use of soil and water
- Drastically reduce the use of fertilizers
- Avoid the use of pesticides
- Increase energy efficiency
- Improve the quality and quantity of crops through processes of bio strengthening of the same crops
- Reuse existing disused industrial infrastructure through different techniques of cultivation, such as aeroponic production plants
These are the challenges that SMARTFarming4.0 is helping to meet, giving rise to the following sustainable development objectives.